History and Tradition
Washington earned the right to be “The U” a long time ago. There was football at the University of Washington almost 40 years before Miami played its first game. The Hurricanes didn’t even have the “U” as a logo until 1973. Additionally, Miami wasn’t known as “The U” outside of the city, until the mid 80’s when players started saying it on television.
More from Washington Huskies Football
- Washington State Football: Update on former Cougars in the NFL 12/2018
- Washington Football: Update on Huskies alumni in the NFC – Nov. 2018
- Washington Football: What you need to know for WSU 11/23
- Apple Cup: History leading up to the 2018 edition
- PAC-12 Football Power Rankings week of 11/21 – Emerald City Swagger
While on the topic of history, yes indeed the University of Washington won a National Championship in 1991, it’s one of four. Those are accomplishments to be proud of. If Oregon fans can’t handle that, go out and win just one of your own. At this point complaining about it comes off as sour grapes.
A few more points
So Chris Petersen was once an Oregon assistant coach under Chip Kelly. Tom Landry and Vince Lombardi were both assistant coaches at the same time for the New York Giants under Jim Lee Howell. Bill Bellicheck is from the Bill Parcells coaching tree. Mike Krzyzewski was an assistant for Bobby Knight at Army.
The point is every head coach has to learn somewhere. Instead of using Petersen’s coaching past at Oregon against him, maybe Oregon fans should recognize his talent. Petersen got the Washington job because of what he did as the head coach at Boise State. That isn’t even a valid argument about the topic.
I’ll wrap this up in bullet form
- As you stated in your article, you don’t know if the Husky mascot is a dog or a wolf. I suggest you read this, so in the future, you will know.
- Unfortunately, Ted Bundy attended the University of Washington in the late 60’s – Early 70’s. Last I checked, “serial killer” isn’t a checkbox on any college application. Smart and evil aren’t mutually exclusive.
- The Larry Hill incident of 1962? Really? You’re the guy who complained that Washington fans talk about their 1991 championship.
- There were empty seats in the Stadium earlier in the decade. Guess what, college football attendance as a whole was down between 2011-2016.
Ed Stein, Site Expert – Emerald City Swagger