3) This team LOVES Nelson Valdez
Having only started covering the Sounders last season, I’m still a relative newcomer to the scene. As such, I had little idea of exactly how much this team loves Valdez – this is no longer the case after Thursday night.
More from Seattle Sounders
- Sounders’ struggles continue in loss to Sacramento
- Sounders: Has Clint Dempsey Played his Final Game for USMNT?
- Sounders Fight to Draw Against Former Coach
- Gold Cup Final Pits USMNT Against Unlikely Foe
- How International Duty Sparked Sounders Midfielder Cristian Roldan
Speaking about the Sounders’ goal-scorer during his post-game press conference, Schmetzer said: “I can’t think of a better person to be rewarded for this moment, because he has worked so hard this year.
“For him to come through in such a critical moment is well deserved. He carried the team on his back here and I’m so happy for Nelson Valdez.”
Morris echoed this sentiment: “He’s been so unlucky all year, he came through huge for us. I’m just so proud of him.”
As for Valdez himself, who looked very emotional after his goal, he said: “I just want to say thank you for my family first and then my teammates. The club and all the supporters still believe in me, they all know how hard this year was for me, I try hard every day and today, thank God, I’m so happy for the goal.”
What’s your take on the Sounders’ dramatic late win? Did they deserve the victory? Should their goal have been allowed? Let us know in the comments section below.