3) Sounders will be a tough out for anyone
As average — and indeed at times awful — as the Sounders were this season under Sigi Schmid, they were that good when Brian Schmetzer assumed responsibility. His record of 8-2-4 speaks for itself.
More from Seattle Sounders
- Sounders’ struggles continue in loss to Sacramento
- Sounders: Has Clint Dempsey Played his Final Game for USMNT?
- Sounders Fight to Draw Against Former Coach
- Gold Cup Final Pits USMNT Against Unlikely Foe
- How International Duty Sparked Sounders Midfielder Cristian Roldan
However, it goes deeper than that, after Schmetzer took over a squad which seemed to lack motivation and confidence. To a man, the players raved about the impact of their interim head coach, when speaking to the media following Sunday’s win over RSL. (Morris emphatically declared he deserves to be given the job on a permanent basis.)
In the process, the Sounders are now a team that no one will want to face in the playoffs. As RSL head coach Jeff Cassar said during his press conference after the game, Seattle will be an extremely tough team for anyone in the playoffs, especially at home.
Most importantly, as Schmetzer pointed out, his players are a team in every sense, selfless and willing to fight for each other. Of course this doesn’t come with any guarantees, but it still makes them an extremely dangerous opponent.
What’s your takeaway from the Sounders’ 2-1 win? Further, what’s your prediction for Thursday’s game against Sporting KC? Let us know in the comments section below.