2) Jordan Morris & Nicolas Lodeiro
Understandably, a lot of you may be thinking this is one of the more obvious and transparent keys to any Sounders game, never mind just this one. However, consider the circumstances behind mentioning the duo for this specific fixture.
More from Seattle Sounders
- Sounders’ struggles continue in loss to Sacramento
- Sounders: Has Clint Dempsey Played his Final Game for USMNT?
- Sounders Fight to Draw Against Former Coach
- Gold Cup Final Pits USMNT Against Unlikely Foe
- How International Duty Sparked Sounders Midfielder Cristian Roldan
At one point, it appeared that Morris and Lodeiro would be unavailable for this game, after both being called up for international duty. No matter if you’re facing the worst team in the West or not, missing two such talented players would impact any organisation.
However, in keeping with the Sounders’ recent fortunes, things started to turn in their favor when Lodeiro picked up a one-game ban after a yellow card for Uruguay, thus hastening his return to Seattle. The midfielder was soon followed by his striking teammate, who was granted an early release by U.S. coach Jurgen Klinsmann.
Their return helps make up for the absence of Joevin Jones and Brad Evans, who are missing due to international duty and a one-game suspension respectively. With Alvaro Fernandez also potentially out with a hamstring sprain, it won’t all be plain sailing for the Sounders, but they’re in a better position than they were just over a week ago.